Sunday, April 3, 2011

Day 3: Wet Hot American Summer



I sort of see it as a crime that this film went unnoticed when first released.
Wet Hot American Summer, made in 2001, tells us the absurd story of Camp Firewood and the counselors and campers that inhabit it in the early 80's.  There are different types of characters in this movie including a camp director, a love-lorn counselor, an astrophysicist, an overbearing cook, and a can of veggie soup.

The film is absurd comedy at it's best.  David Wain directs and most of the stars were originally from the skit comedy show, The State.  I love how the movie thrives on terrible acting, noticable stunt doubles, and crazy dialouge.  Paul Rudd is especially funny as an obnoxious camp counselor.  All the characters have their moment to shine, but Paul Rudd has the best moments.

Three scenes still hold to me and never get old. 





The last one is probably the best double-takes in cinema history.  The first is just a classic example of 80's training montages.  And the second is just made better by Michael Ian Black's wooing all the way to town.

Favorite Line(s):

Beth: McKinley, four lower campers are stuck in the ropes course. I meant to tell you about that yesterday, but could you get to it now?

Susie: Beth, I may regret saying this, but how dare you usurp my authority as producer... director slash choreographer of this talent show. I mean, you were wrong to do that. I need you to know I have been busting my BALLS woman! I am telling you the musical numbers are a mess, my kids are a bunch of amateurs, and the last thing I need today is some diabetic freak prancing around on stage making my life a living HELL! [Long Pause] All right, I'll put him last.

Gene: Now finish up them taters, I'm gonna go fondle my sweaters.
Gary: Come on - what?
Gene: Finish up the taters.
Gary: And then what did you say?
Gene: And then what did I say?
Gary: You said you were going to... fondle your sweaters.
Gene: Ah, uh - no I didn't. I said fondue with cheddar, I was thinking about making fondue with cheddar cheese for dinner tonight.
Gary: No Gene, that is not what you said.
Gene: That is what I said. Fondue with cheddar.

Andy: You taste like a burger.  I don't like you anymore.

Swimming kid: Andy, have you seen my swimming buddy? If I can't find him, I'm telling Beth that you let him drown.
Andy: I was busy!
Swimming kid:  It's your job to make sure kids don't drown!

No comments:

Post a Comment