Saturday, April 2, 2011

Day 2: Galaxy Quest




















1.  Yes this poster isn't very good and is lame.
2.  Tim Allen hasn't been in that many good movies.  And yes he was a coke head in the seventies.

I wouldn't lie about something like that when we're talking about the dad from Home Inprovement.


3.  Galaxy Quest is actually a very good movie.

Made in 1999, Galaxy Quest is a somewhat underrated comedy.
The story concerns the cast of a popular science fiction show from the 80's, Galaxy Quest (spoofing Star Trek).  They are washed up and haven't had any work since the show except for commercial spots and convention shows.  Jason Nesmith (Allen), the lead from the show, is soon contacted by a peaceful alien race that has been watching the show for years, believing that all the television shows on Earth are historical documents.  In this case, the cast of Galaxy Quest is mistaken for actual space travelers.  The aliens wish for the help of the cast to defeat an alien warlord, Sarris.  And for good measure they have created full size version of the show's ship.

The movie is extremely hilarious.  Sigourney Weaver, Allen Rickman(who never once takes off his alien make-up through the movie), and Sam Rockwell co-star.  Sam Rockwell was actually quite funny as an actor who is worried he will die on the mission because he only appeared in one episode of Galaxy Quest (and died in the first five minutes of the episode). 

Favorite Line(s):

Guy Fleegman: I changed my mind, I wanna go back.
Sir Alexander Dane: After all the fuss you made about getting left behind?
Guy Fleegman: Yeah, but that's when I thought I was the crewman that stays on the ship and something is up there and it kills me. But now I'm thinking I'm the guy that gets killed by some monster 5 minutes after we land on the planet.
Jason Nesmith: You're not going to die on the planet, Guy.
Guy Fleegman: I'm not? Then what's my last name?
Jason Nesmith: It's, uh, uh– I don't know.
Guy Fleegman: Nobody knows. You know why? Because my character isn't important enough for a last name, because I'm gonna die 5 minutes in.

Guy Fleegman: I'm just a glorified extra, Fred, I'm a dead man anyway. If I gotta die, I'd rather go out a hero than a coward.
Fred Kwan: Guy– Guy, maybe you're the plucky comedy relief, you ever think about that?
Guy Fleegman: Plucky?
Fred Kwan: Besides, [goofy laugh] I just had this really interesting idea...yeah, let's go.
Guy Fleegman: Are you stoned?

[Trying to explain TV to the Thermians]
Gwen Demarco: They're not ALL "historical documents." Surely, you don't think Gilligan's Island is a... 
Mathesar: Those poor people.

Sir Alexander Dane: You're just going to have to figure out what it wants. What is its motivation?
Jason Nesmith: It's a rock monster. It doesn't have motivation.
Sir Alexander Dane: See, that's your problem, Jason. You were never serious about the craft.
Guy Fleegman: Did you guys ever WATCH the show?

No comments:

Post a Comment